Storied Dumbarton Rock. Situated on the eastern edge of the town of Dumbarton on the Northern shore of the Clyde River, it is a volcanic plug of basalt with twin towers, known as White Tower Crag and The Beak, connected near their summits and rising 240 feet straight up on a tiny peninsula where the River Leven empties into the River Clyde. It holds the distinction, among many others, of being a stronghold in Britain longer than any other in recorded history, dating from at least the fifth century AD. In fact the derivative of Dumbarton, Dun Breatann means 'the fortress of the Britons'
Above left is a view of the Governor's House at Dumbarton Castle where four Cunninghams served as Governors from as early as the 16th century. Inside is a Coat of Arms display of the Governors that served there spanning eight centuries from 1264 through 1996. The three Cunningham's Coat of Arms displayed there are: 1571, John Cunningham, 6th of Drumquhassil; 1692, John, 11th Earl of Glencairn and 1714, Colonel William, 12th Earl of Glencairn. The fourth Cunningham Governor was 1955, Admiral Sir Angus Cunninghame Graham, 16th of Gartmore K.B.E., C.B.
Above center is a view from inside the castle grounds of the rear of the Governor's house and grounds with the Clyde River in the background.
Above right after you pass through an outer iron gate in a low stone wall, you cross a courtyard, ascend a stone stair and pass through the fortress wall at King George's Battery with its round-domed sentinel box. Beyond stands the Governor's House, built along with King George's Battery in 1735, replacing the medieval gatehouse and rampart.
The Château de Cherveux was built by Robert de Conyngham in 1470 after a brilliant career in France serving two French Kings, Charles VII (of Joan of Arc infamy) and Louis XI as both Captain of the Scots Guard and Captain of the Kings Bodyguard (a real-life D'Artagnan.) Also see the château at the French web site Casteland.com.